Monday, November 16, 2015

The wonders of Damascus

When people think of the islamic world, the first cities that come to mind are Mecca and Medina, and well that sentiment is perfectly justified, the whole of the Middle East has many such cities, all completely awe-inspiring. Over the past month, I have had the privilege of exploring Damascus, whose religious accomplishments are, to my knowledge, unparalleled. One such example of this is both the variety and quantity of religious endowments available to those in need. So far I have heard say of endowments for travel, the needy, those unable to afford a dowry, and many more.

This generosity is in keeping with the customs of Islam, of course, but even so, throughout my travel I have never encountered such Generosity as is present here. If I could, I would seriously consider making a home of this place. However, as a traveller, I have other obligations, and I have no plans to do so just yet. I leave Damascus with a deep respect of its people and their generosity, and I only hope to experience it elsewhere. -Ibn Battuta, 1329

No comments:

Post a Comment