Monday, November 16, 2015

(mis)Adventures in Aydhab

Today I fled the city of Aydhab, fearing for my life. I had originally planned to travel through on my first Hajj, but at the time of my passing, the city was in the midst of a violent rebellion, and I had the misfortune of being in the crossfire. I had planned on using the cities port to obtain passage across the Red Sea, but with the ongoing warfare, there was no chance of that. Instead I was able to obtain provisions and return to Qus by camel.

As a traveller, I always have unique experiences on the road, and I had a quite notable one last night. We had stopped to bed down in Humaythria, a minuscule hovel entirely berefit of amenities for the passing traveller. As I bed down in my tent, a pack of Hyenas tore into camp at breakneck speed, delighting in our hapless efforts to apprehend them. In addition to making a fool of myself, however, the repulsive animals made off with all of my tea and dates. I now must spend the next few weeks without them. -Ibn Battuta, July 1326


No comments:

Post a Comment